This week, Reddit user OG_Builds asked, "What’s something that is totally normal in movies, but never happens in real life?"
The thread quickly went viral as people started sharing all of the overdone clichés they've noticed in movies and TV shows — things that never actually happen IRL.
Here are some of the best responses:
1. "You cough, you die."
3. "Wherever the detective has to go, he always finds a parking spot right in front of the place. Downtown Manhattan included."
4. "Working as a waitress and living in a huge apartment, with the fridge full and expensive clothes."
7. "Easily avoidable issues if the person just explains what is happening."
9. "Guy walks in holding a 30-page document, gives it to some other dude. The dude who's getting the document glances at the first page for a nanosecond and immediately knows everything there is to know about this case."
10. "Teenagers being built like fucking tanks."
11. "In real life, most 'knockout' drugs don’t work very fast. Chloroform is always depicted as some 'instant-knockout' drug, when, in reality, it takes several minutes of constant exposure to knock someone unconscious. I guess a bad guy standing there for seven minutes waiting for the hero to pass out would probably make for a boring movie."
13. "Using guns in small rooms with no ear protection, without being affected by the very loud bang that would probably damage your hearing."
14. "Asking your friends to meet you at a predetermined time and place with no explanation as to why. I have a hard time getting friends to meet up for legitimate reasons with advance notice. Meanwhile, movie characters come together in an abandoned warehouse in Brazil like [All walk in at the same time], 'Why'd you call?'"
15. "The pushy dude in the rom-com ends up getting the girl, whereas in real life, they’d be more likely to end up with a restraining order."
16. "Someone goes up to a bar and asks for a beer, and the bartender gives it to them without asking the brand or type."
17. "Sex happening in seconds, fully clothed. It’s as if the guy just 'falls' into her, sticking his thing in through his zipper. Immediate penetration."
18. "'Enhancing' a shitty-quality image to 4K and zooming in to the size of a microbe with perfect clarity."
19. "Hacking is typing really fast."
21. "Walking home from the grocery store carrying a single paper bag with an unwrapped loaf of French bread sticking out of the top."
22. "Women orgasming within seconds."
23. "Mom makes a huge breakfast and lays it all out. Kids and husband grab a bagel on the way out the door, ignoring all the food."
24. "People waking up with perfect makeup. My wife points this out in everything we watch."
25. "School in movies consumes just about 10% of their day."
27. "Being able to outrun an explosion."
Note: Some responses have been edited for length and/or clarity.